Why Go on Guided Tours in Congo
Vacations to far-off places immerse you in the culture as you enjoy everything from the food and customs to the entertainment and landmarks. Exploring the destination on your own is always an option, but travelers often choose guided tours as a way to get their bearings. Based on local knowledge and experience, guided safaris in Congo offer several advantages check below;
Leave the Planning to Someone Else
Joining a guided tour means there’s no hassle of planning. A guided tour company handles all the organization and prep work for visiting landmarks in the area. You save time and energy that you would normally put into planning out your own tours of your destination. The tour guide puts together a schedule for visiting locations based on their proximity to make efficient use of the tour time.
Guided tours arrange the itinerary, activities, and schedules for you way ahead of time. They also give a definitive structure and plan for each day and allow you to see more than if you were figuring everything out on your own. The tours take into account the visiting hours of the stops on the itinerary so you don’t have to spend hours researching the information for each place you want to visit. Transportation is handled for you. You simply sign up for the preferred tour and show up at the designated time.
If you’re pressed for time and won’t have too long to see all of the major sights, a tour can help you check off all the boxes quickly. Finally, an experienced and knowledgeable guide can make your trip more enjoyable by helping you understand more about a particular site, and can often bring history to life. Many people who choose a guided tour over independent travel find they learn much more about the place than if they went it alone.
Comfort and Safety
The first time in a new location leaves many travelers feeling nervous or unsure of where to go and how to act. This is particularly true for vacations abroad if you aren’t fluent in the local language. A guided tour gives you a sense of comfort since the tour guide understands the culture. In some destinations, safety is an issue. The tour guide helps you avoid potentially dangerous areas of the city and brings a sense of safety to the trip.
Tour companies operate frequent tours in the area and often hire locals to guide the tours. This provides an inside knowledge of the destination that you might not have. Insider knowledge of the area means you’ll hit all the highlights. The tour may also allow you to uncover some hidden gems within the city that you wouldn’t otherwise know about. Guides often share stories and bits of history about landmarks to give more depth to your experience. The company uses its knowledge of the city to schedule activities and visits during times when they aren’t as busy.
Joining a group of fellow travelers adds a social aspect to a guided tour, especially if you aren’t traveling with people you already know. Experiencing a new city with others allows you to share your reactions and connect with fellow group members. In some cases, the relationships built last even after the tour ends.
Satisfaction is always guaranteed
Tour operators want their customers to come back and buy more tours. Good ones will do their best to make sure the customers who bought a guided tour have an amazing experience and go back home with an overall good understanding of the country they have just visited and its culture; they will make sure that you will be so happy that you will consider traveling with them again.
It may be cheaper than you think
One of the biggest benefits of group travel is that it may be cheaper than traveling independently. Relying on a tour operator may thus be the best option to save on time and even money – yes, an organized tour may at times be considerably cheaper, as tour operators can get great bargains for booking large numbers of people in a hotel, for example.
It’s a great way to meet others
Loneliness is one of the most difficult parts of traveling independently. Signing up with a group is a quick and easy way to make friends.
For many people it’s often difficult to meet new people under normal circumstances. Now put yourself in the confusing situation of being in a foreign country and it can make it even harder. Travelers are often on different schedules and depending on the part of the world you intend to travel, they might even speak a completely different language.
Traveling with a tour guides helps break the ice, make friends quickly and create memories with someone else. As nice as it is to look back at old travel photos from a solo trip, sharing a beer with a friend you met on a group trip to some exotic part of the world and reminiscing on the great times you had is one of the best post travel experiences you can have.
You have access to more destinations and Activities
There are many travel destinations that are very difficult and safety could be a concern with a tour guide. Whether it’s traveling to a country where there are regions in political turmoil, or participating in organized activities such as trekking through National parks in DRC, without a guide you are at much higher risk of running into problems.
Going on a group tour opens up the world a bit more and allows you the freedom to safely travel to places you might not consider going without one. Trying to go it alone in a place where you don’t speak the language, don’t understand the local customs, and don’t have a plan setup beforehand can not only be stressful, but potentially dangerous depending on where you want to travel. This is one of the biggest benefits for many travelers who decide to choose a guided tour over independent travel.
No matter how you look at it, travelling can take a lot of time and preparation to organise and plan. While self-guided travel works well for some, most of tourists prefer a little more pre-planning before embarking on the next big adventure.Read More
How to Save on Rwanda Gorilla Tours
Rwanda is one of the African countries with rapid growing tourism sectors. In Rwanda, gorilla trekking tours are conducted throughout the year though many people prefer trekking in dry season from June to August and January to February. Many argue that, gorilla trekking in rainy season is disturbing and much rain can fail the activity.
In dry period, the gorilla trekking trails are dry and thus facilitating smooth gorilla trekking activity in Volcanoes National Park. Rwanda offers a gorilla permit at US1500 and each traveler MUST buy a gorilla permit. Many travelers are however, complain about the high cost of the gorilla permit on addition to high cost of accommodation, transport, visa, plane fares among others.
When the prices of Rwanda gorilla permit increased, many other facilities also increased to make Rwanda for high end gorilla trekking destination. Below are tactic travelers can employ to minimize high cost of gorilla tours:
- Book Group tours – When you travel in groups, you automatically share safari cost in terms of transport, share accommodation, guiding fees among others. Solo travelers take a full burden alone. The safari cost reduces with the increasing number of travelers and the reverse is true.
- Self-drive – You can just hire a car and go self-drive to cut the safari cost. The only cost you incur is the fuel price and car washing.
- Book short trip – wen you book few days trip, the lower the prices and the reverse is true. You can save by booking 1 day trip, 2 days gorilla trip or 3 days gorilla safari.
- Visit More than one National Park to get a discounted gorilla permit – If you book a visit in two or three National parks in Rwanda, Rwanda Development Board gives discount on the Gorilla permit to US$1050 instead of US$1500. However, you must present genuine proof of accommodation booking to the RDB.
- Full Covid – 19 vaccinations to avoid over stay in Rwanda – To avoid any inconveniences, you must get full vaccination to avoid delay and unnecessary expenditures.
- Utilize Nationality benefits – All African residents are entitled to discounted Rwanda Gorilla permits at US$500 instead of US$1500.
Cost sharing – You can deal with your local tour operator or local company to finance part of your trip and in return, you must promise return benefits to the company in terms of marketing.Read More
Guide to Budget Gorilla Trekking in DR Congo
Budget gorilla trekking within the Democratic Republic of Congo is a wonderful chance of seeing two distinct gorilla sub-species (Eastern lowland and mountain gorillas), to tell their differences. These trips lead travelers to Kahuzi-Biega National Park for lowland gorilla trekking as well as Virunga National Park for mountain gorilla trekking.
Best budget gorilla trekking tours in Virunga National Park
Typical budget gorilla trekking tours in Virunga National Park, the oldest Park in Africa introduce travelers to some of the giant Ape groups found here. So far, 8 habituated groups are open for travelers – Mapuwa, Lulengo, Kabirizi, Humba, Kabirizi, Bageni, Munyaga, and Nyakamwe. Daily treks begin at Bukima Ranger Post with a briefing on the dos and don’ts of gorilla trekking adventures, then placement into the group with whom you will spend some wonderful time observing and photographing. Be prepared for 1-5 hours of trekking then one hour of interaction.
When it comes to accommodation options, the midrange Bukima Tented Camp and Kibumba Tented Camp as well as Tchegera Island Camp are some of the places preferred by budget gorilla trekkers in this magnificent Protected Area.
Budget gorilla trekking in Kahuzi-Biega National Park
Budget gorilla trekking tours in Kahuzi-Biega National Park are conducted for the incredible Eastern lowland gorillas, the largest gorilla sub-species only found in this country. The 6000-square kilometer Park shelters a number of lowland gorilla groups but 5 are fully habituated for trekking – Nganwa, Moungwe, Bonnani, Mugaruka, and Chimanuka. Budget places of lodging by visitors here are Orchids’ Safari Club, Coco Lodge Bukavu, and so many others.
Securing gorilla permits for budget gorilla trekking in the Democratic Republic of Congo
If the price of gorilla permits are to go by, the Democratic Republic of Congo is the best destination for budget gorilla trekking, costing $400 per person and can be secured via the ICCN Head offices in Bukavu or Goma Town.
Best time for budget gorilla trekking tours
Budget gorilla trekking within Uganda and the Democratic Republic of Congo are enjoyed throughout the year but the high season is June to September or December to February when demand for gorilla permits is high. These months are the busiest because most travelers are drawn to the drier hiking trails and more accessible park roads attributed to the little or total absence of rains.
Regardless of the season, travelers have to pack lightweight rain jackets, sturdy hiking boots, long-sleeved shirts, long safari pants, a good camera, safari hat, snacks, water bottles, binoculars, sunglasses, gardening gloves, and many others.Read More
What to pack for a Gorilla Trek in DR. Congo?
In Virunga National Park, it pays to prepare well for a gorilla trek. Hiking through mountainous, equatorial rain forests can be muddy. It can be hot and humid with occasional short downpours too, so appropriate clothing, good hiking boots, and gear like poles and gaiter, all add up to a comfortable trek. It is a bucket list experience precisely because it is not easy to get close to gorillas in the wild, but when you do, you will be excited and more than thrilled once you look into the beautiful brown eyes of mountain gorillas.
Planning or packing for a gorilla safari is a stressful experience sometimes, but it doesn’t have to be. Going into it with a clear idea of what you will want and need for the vacation at hand will make the planning that much easier for you.
Prepare a list of things to bring; a list of items can vary widely depending on the type of safari trip you are planning. You should start packing for a trip a few days before you are scheduled to leave. That way you have some time to think about anything you might be forgetting and you will not need to rush around at the last minute.
If you have lots of different types of activities you plan to do like the Nyiragongo hike and gorilla trekking experience, which means you have a fair amount of gear you need to pack into your suitcase. Keep your clothing organised in compartments based on outfit type or activity by using packing cubes. You can start with the basics like lightweight clothing that can be layered, long-sleeved shirts, sweaters or fleece jacket, t-shirts and tank tops, pants, and shits among others.
Certain things like an extra set of clothes are recommended across the board, while other things can be brought or left depending on the type of place you are going to be.
Here is a list of things to consider bringing on a safari to Congo.
- Start by collecting all of your important documents in a travel document organizer. The travel organiser holds a passport, documents, a boarding pass, pen, photo Id bank card including credit card for emergency situations, yellow fever vaccination card, which are necessary to bring along whenever you are traveling abroad. This will help ensure you have everything you need to get from one place to the next.
- As soon as you book a trip, it is a good idea to double-check that your passports and IDs are not expired and that they will not expire while you are traveling internationally. Also consider emailing yourself a copy of your passport, driver’s license, medical cards, and itinerary, so if anything happens to them you will be able to access them online.
- Clothes for a weekend trip, a fresh set of clothing should be considered necessary. You will want to feel fresh on the second and third day of being away from home and in the case that your first set of clothes gets wet or dirty; you will want something to fall back on. The same applies to socks and underwear. Bring heavier clothing, like a jacket, based on the forecasted weather.
- Pack to suit the weather, your packing should be arranged with respect to your safari activities and the environment of that destination. Because your trip will only encompass a couple of days, it is prudent to check the weather forecast for those days and plan accordingly.
- If there is going to be rain, the clothes you bring should reflect that. In case of the sun, bringing sunglasses and sunscreen will be helpful too. Cold weather demands you to bring heavier clothing like winter jackets and warm clothes.
- Toiletries like toothpaste and toothbrush should be deemed essential for your trip. If the place you are going has running water, then a small vial of shampoo and conditioner should be brought along as well to ensure you are feeling fresh throughout the trip.
- Keep possible emergencies in mind, under the nest circumstances; carry a small bit of first – aid along with your toiletries. This includes some band-aids, aloe vera, and headache relievers. These will take up a negligible amount of space and you will be glad you bought them if it comes time to use them.
- Pack lightly for a safari trip, you are more like to overpack that under. Unless you are going camping, you won’t need much to hold you over for a weekend, and carrying too much stuff around will sap some of the enjoyment of travel, to begin with. If you can see how much you can minimize the amount of stuff you bring and try to fit it all into a backpack.
- Some bathing suits, as well as shorts and tank tops. At most beaches, it’s usually warm, so try to wear loose-fitting clothes that are comfortable to wear in the heat. Despite this, it can get cool at night, so having a sweatshirt or hoodie is good to pack as well.
Best Time to Book a Budget Gorilla Trek
Enjoy great discounts on Congo gorilla tracking tours from mid March to mid May every year, the cheapest time for Congo holidays. Congo is one of the fine gorilla trekking destinations in Central Africa with the cheapest gorilla permits for only $200 dollars. The country is safe for tourism and open year round for whoever is ready to explore the countries natural wonders.
Knowing when to book a budget gorilla tours can make the difference when it comes to price you pay for a particular holiday. For those planning to track gorillas in Congo this year, March- May are the best times to travel on budget and save big. Besides, you can trek gorillas and also hike the thrilling active volcanoes of Nyiragongo and Nyramulagira. If Chimpanzee trekking is also part of your trip, all amazing tour adventures can be done in Virunga National Park at the most affordable rates ever and you return back home happy with exciting memories to cherish for life.
However, the best time for cheap gorilla safaris varies from national parks and seasons. As it’s known that Democratic republic of Congo is a home of gorillas as well as other neighboring countries, Uganda and Rwanda but the cost of gorilla trekking permits differs for all the three countries yet the experience is the same. Low season month gorilla permits go for $750 in Rwanda, $450 for Uganda and $200 for Democratic Republic of Congo.
While other months of the year, Rwanda Permits cost $750, $600 for Uganda and Congo $400 hence finding Congo the cheapest. Whether you’re you looking to track gorillas twice in different destinations or once, Congo is the cheapest gorilla trekking destination that you should set eyes on for budget gorilla trekking tours in Africa. Besides, Congo works for many who travel on tight budgets yet their travel dreams are multiple.
Manage well your travel budget and use same trips to create other amazing trips in other travel destinations of your interest. Visiting destinations in off season months will definitely enable you spend less and experience the big part of the world. If gorilla trekking in Africa is your dream trip, make sure you plan your trek around mid march to mid may and get it done at a pocket friendly cost. Adventure travelers and primate lovers all over the world visit Congo to enjoy its rich biodiversity of gorillas, Nyiragongo hike, impressive views, delicious cuisine, stunning landscape, historic monuments and some of the wonderful cultures.
According to researchers, Virunga National Park endangered gorillas and Kahuzi Beiga National Park low land gorillas are the most amazing and attractive and tourists who visit these parks find them earlier than expected. The park hikes are manageable and easy for those in good shape and those with minimum fitness. Don’t miss the active dazzling volcanoes with the most wonderful views of the Crater Lake and Magma. A hike to Nyiragongo take you direct to the top of the world a rare experience to find any where else other than in Democratic republic of Congo.Read More